[Home][2014 Index] Re: [TCML] Stun-gun Tesla coil circuit (and ridiculous voltage claims) [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Stun-gun Tesla coil circuit (and ridiculous voltage claims)

The old GMHEICSLR got 13.25 inches out of a car ignition coil with 1.7uF 1500volts primary. About 2 joules at 10kHz.

http://www.pupman.com/listarchives/2000/April/msg00955.html
http://www.powerlabs.org/gmheicslr.htm

From the schematic:
http://www.classictesla.com/hot-streamer/TeslaCoils/Misc/GMHEI/sch.gif

1500 x SQRT(1.723e-6 / 37e-12) = 324kV for 13.25 inches of arc.

So a 2 inch "stun gun" arc would be right around 50kV. Probably less than 1/10th Joule per spark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZgRNJ6KWE4

A 9mm bullet is about 550 Joules and is effective to >50 yards so....

T.