[Home][2014 Index] Re: [TCML] Tesla coil- spark gap [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Tesla coil- spark gap

On 2/8/14 1:19 PM, Enra Dreitausend wrote:
Hi,
I made best experiences with these static-gap's.

A simple copper tube SG (thermal a very good solution!):
http://imageshack.com/a/img850/6194/img2860hn.jpg

On mine, I have the blower blowing along the axis of the pipes. I don't know that it makes much difference. You don't need a lot of air flow, because what's really going on is just keeping the copper cool. It's not like a blast gap where the idea is to sweep the ions out of the gap area.

Using three pipes is handy because you only need to move one pipe (the center one) to adjust the gap, so your two end pipes can be bolted firmly in place with their wires.

However, a recent comment on the list reminded me that if you had two pipes parallel, with a bolt cross ways through the pipe
        BBB
--------BBB----------
        BBB
        BBB
        BBB

BBB is the bolt

and you can pivot them both, you can adjust the gap by changing the angle of both.. going from || (farthest gap) to // (closer gap), etc.

Try it with a couple pieces of paper and you'll see what I mean.

A chanelblower-gap with brass electrodes:
http://imageshack.com/a/img191/2346/o1ko.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img691/3027/mgl5.jpg