[Home][2014 Index] Re: [TCML] Whre are tesla coils used today? [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Whre are tesla coils used today?

Matthew,
I once saw a mass spectrometer in which the worker told me had a tesla coil in its guts.

I have also seen papers recently proposing the use of a sort of tesla coil circuit as a portion of a ns rise time EMP generator, as well as the use of a tesla coil power supply in a unrelated pulse forming network for other EMP related purposes. Which is of interest to me, being employed to develop EMP devices and perform EMP testing.

They are certainly used for much more than monster shows and demonstrations.
The issue, being that the "tesla coil" as we all build in our basements is sparsely used in the form we use them as.
Ie producing huge sparks

What you should really be looking into is where is the pulsed resonant circuit effect as tesla discovered being utilized to generate higher voltages than could be created via normal transformer action or purely back emf.
Do a little digging yourself and I believe you will be surprised at the number of technologies which employ these principles in the loose form of a tesla coil.

Cheers,
John "Jay" Howson IV

"Why thank you, I will be happy to take those electrons off your hands."