[Home][2014 Index] Re: [TCML] Touching Corona Discharges [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Touching Corona Discharges

Em 17/02/2014 19:55, Kuba Anglin escreveu:
Hey,

I have seen and heard about many people who can touch the corona discharge
emission from their Tesla coil with one hand and hold a fluorescent light
bulb in their other hand causing the light to turn on. I understand why the
light turns on, but I do not understand why the person doing this is not
harmed at all. Could someone please explain why this is possible and
describe a method in which it can be accomplished?

The high-frequency current, from a Tesla coil is not sensed by the nerves. Not harmed at all is not exactly the case. Burns can occur, external and -internal- as the current breaks the skin and travels through the body. Skin effect, that makes high-frequency currents travel close to the surface of conductors is almost insignificant at Tesla coil frequencies with the human flesh as conductor. A common effect is pain at the joints, because there the resistance is higher and most damage occurs. Even staying close to a Tesla coil in operation can cause this
(to me at least...).

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz