[Home][2014 Index] Re: [TCML] DRSSTC, driving system, and a strange problem. [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] DRSSTC, driving system, and a strange problem.

Hello Antonio,

 I’ve recently begun designing a DRSSTC with similar parameters (“high” inductance primary, small capacitance tank, and limited to short burst lengths (3 cycles for current MMC, I can get to 6 by doubling voltage rating). It is my understand that the less than spectacular streamer length is due to the fact that there isn’t enough time for streamers to grow properly. At 3.3uS/cycle a 10 cycle burst is only 33uS. Going up to 20 cycles yields 66uS. Most “large output” DRSSTCs run around 120-500uS bursts and typically have primary peak currents around 400-900A. That being said, the output in your video looks quite good for only 66uS ontime.

The 1MHz “noise”:

You didn’t state what the timing method for the interrupter was, and as there is no evidence of poor performance or the 1MHz being an upper excitation mode in the output of the DRSSTC one has to conclude that it must be from the interrupter or radiating from parasitic oscillations in the wiring.

Your coil’s output:

 In order to increase spark length the burst length must be increased. Doing so you will get a higher peak primary current. Increasing Burst Length also increases the voltage across the MMC, so you’ll need to adjust for that as well. Using a higher peak current capacity switch to adjust for the longer burst length is easy; Fairchild’s FDL100N50F MOSFETs will easily tolerate 400A pulsed at low duty cycles.

You can use this formula to find what your MMC voltage will be at a certain peak current.

Vmmc = (Ipk * 2 * Pi * Lpri * fres)

Rearranged to find the peak current your current MMC can support.

I = Vmmc / (2* Pi * Lpri * fres)

For a 13.5uH primary at 294KHz and a Vmmc limit of 4.8kV you can support 192.5Apk. This is of course before losses and loading, and as you noted; loading is hard to calculate.

This is all a rather complicated way of saying that the next step to increasing output would be to increase your MMC’s voltage rating so you can increase your Burst Length to give streamers more time to grow, and more current to support their growth. One reason I decided to reply with all this info is that SSTCs and DRSSTCs are rarely the subject of discussion on the TCML and I hope that others may learn from the info presented here.

Sincerely,

 Matt “Sig” Giordano

www.SigurthrEnterprises.com