[Home][2014 Index] [TCML] FW: Charging Inductor construction choices- Plain text sorry. [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

[TCML] FW: Charging Inductor construction choices- Plain text sorry.

From: Jim Mora [mailto:wavetuner@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Saturday, July 26, 2014 5:14 AM
To: 'Tesla Coil Mailing List'
Subject: Charging Inductor construction choices.

Hello Friends,

I am considering winding my own DC charging inductors. Yea that will be a
major effort but we are pretty good at winding things. I have several core
candidates and would go on the scrap hunt if they don?t make the cut. The
one presently in front of me (or and IE leaves). Came form a 4KV 3P Plate
transformer that had a shorted primary turn ? an eBay buy. I scrapped the
copper and pulled all the leaves so it is a true EI which is good as the air
gap could be visually adjusted. It has nicely placed bolt holes.  It was 4
to 5 inches thick and has three cores of course. Roughly >1 + 3/4  by 4.5
inches tall. The winding windows are typical stamped E cores. So 4.5x1 and
3/4 or 13 /16 to be more precise. I see my options to cut out the center I
giving me a huge winding window for 2 coils or cut off an L and have narrow
deep window which probably would have less losses. These would be 4 to 5
inch oblong coils and tight DIY fit.

The specs I want to achieve is two coils preferably on one core able to
handle up to 750 ma and 25KV so maybe I should be looking at a mini pole pig
core. I like the EI conception rather than C core where the gaps are
generally hidden and require strapping. Having a threaded gap adjustment
would be cool. I have a huge EI HV transformer with many taps which must
have be a radar transformer. I find it a bit scary. I used a low ohm meter
to connect out all the taps the best I could figure. The core is like 12?
across, it may be 24 inches wide from memory and maybe 18? high. Copper is
so high now I have considered taking this one down. It weighs in very heavy!
This is a single phase core. I could make the stack any desired size thick.
Ample room for neat DIY HV standoff.

Opinions anyone?

I assume the Inductors should have a high Q for top charging profiles?

Thanks,
Jim Mora