[Home][2014 Index] Re: [TCML] Choosing the right toroid [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Choosing the right toroid

Noah,
     Toroids that are larger produce longer sparks, but after you get to a
certain point, breakout is impossible.  The simplest formula for
determining that size is this, C in pF=SQRT (input power in watts).  I
usually size my toroids for 0.9* this value.  Another quick and dirty
formula that is handy is toroid C in pF is roughly equal to toroid overall
diameter in inches.  Obviously these formulas were determined empirically,
the first by John Freu if memory serves, and I figured out the second one
by playing with Java TC (other may have noticed it before then).

Scott Bogard.