[Home][2014 Index] Re: [TCML] New server poll [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] New server poll

I don'tthink anyone has brought this up yet, but a moderately low cost thing to do would be to replace the fans in the server. There are some nice aftermarket and super quiet fans.

For example http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608026

or just google for ultra quiet computer fan, etc..

Just a thought.

Bart

On 5/22/2014 2:43 PM, Chip Atkinson wrote:
Yes, the price for the "fully loaded" server is <$1000. It's a small server, non-rack mount. That's the one I was considering if there are no others of its ilk made by other manufacturers.

I'm also looking at the cloud based solution as many others have suggested.

Chip

On Thu, 22 May 2014, Miles Mauldin wrote:

Really Peter? Even with international shipping that would be a deal for a server class machine!!!

The "Other" Miles

Sent from a little device with a tiny keyboard.

On May 22, 2014, at 3:56 PM, <pterren@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Clearly we should be donating so you can get a new server and whatever else is needed. Server is perhaps $600 delivered with cables. Balance to $1000 for running costs.
So target is $1000
I will start with $100. (just tell us how to donate and keep a running total)

Cheers
Peter
tesladownunder.com

-----Original Message----- From: Chip Atkinson
Sent: Thursday, May 22, 2014 10:15 AM
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [TCML] New server poll

Hi folks,

I'm seriously considering getting a new server for TCML.  The HP DL-385
that everyone so generously helped with many years ago is still a great
machine and would serve as a backup, but it's both noisy and power hungry.
My electricity bills have gone up $50/month and the noise infuses the
house.

To reduce noise and cost, I've been thinking of an HP microserver, like
this one:
http://www8.hp.com/us/en/products/proliant-servers/product-detail.html?oid=5366896#!tab=features

It seems to be one of the few server class machines that is energy
efficient and quiet(er?).

Any thoughts or suggestions from people?

Thanks in advance.

Chip Atkinson
TCML data center operator. :-)