[Home][2014 Index] [TCML] Repairing an old Sargent Welch 2390 solid state induction coil [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

[TCML] Repairing an old Sargent Welch 2390 solid state induction coil

(If this is OT, please let me know).

I just got my hands on a vintage Sargent Welch 2390 induction coil. The upper half consists of a standard wood-case primary & second, topped with HV terminals. Instead of interrupter, there's a sheet metal case filled with the necessary components to operate the coil with wall current. There's a On light, an on-off switch, a power level control (a potentiometer), and a polarity switch. Unfortunately the coil does not work. The power light comes on when the on-off switch is operated, but there's no HV output. There are three wires in the base that are broken loose and I'd like some advice about where to reattach them. No circuit diagram came with the device, and I haven't been able to find one.

There two terminals used on the power level pot. A purple wire from the outside terminal is loose; the center terminal of the pot has remains of solder.

There is a black wire connected to the center post of what looks like a small transistor. The other end of this wire is floating free.

There's a white wire with brown stripe connected to one of two small transformers in the base. This wire is unconnected on the other end.

The whole device pretty crudely made--thick, clumsy soldering, etc., but I'd like to get it working. Any ideas how to reconnect the wires?

If needed, I can take photos.

Thanks,

Paul