[Home][2014 Index] Re: [TCML] Keying a spark gap tesla [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Keying a spark gap tesla

[drifting OT?]

> Can a spark gap tesla be modulated by cw (morse key)?

   A spark gap device is not CW (continuous wave).

   That Said, my recollection is yes, a 'morse key'
   was used (due safety precautions) on 'low'
   voltage side.  I'm away from references, so
   suggest:
        Google
          Books
           search string
             wireless zenneck

     [recommend caution using smartphone:
       my 'droid seems unable to deal with
       google books...]

   [Zenneck includes multiple references to
    Tesla.]

   to bring up one instance.  There are Many
   vintage wireless books lurking on google books
   and elsewhere.  Most of the olde stuff is
   downloadable free...

   'section' 116, around p 200 discusses spark
   gap techniques.

> Not too cause interference or actually transmit rf but
> just to play with.  Back in early days of radio this
> was done with a spark gap transmitter. But I don't think
> they actually had high voltage on the key itself?
   Would help to have a numerical value on 'high'

> If I broke the 120v with the key powering the nst
> wouldn't it weld the contacts eventually?
   depends on the key used.

>  I think I could do it using a 12v relay but not sure bout
> the lag between key closure and relay activation.

> Has anyone heard of this or has messed with spark gap
> transmitters?

> John cooper WT5Y
     I'm thinking there are vintage ham fans out there
     who would know.

     best
      dwp