[Home][2014 Index] [TCML] airgaps are your friend [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

[TCML] airgaps are your friend

Jason's recent post
"A coworker and I once used a solid state relay to control the charging transformer on a 1 kJ cap bank. While debugging the trigger system (ignition coil plus light dimmer trick), EMI from the trigger transformer was turning the stupid solid state relay on (this was a 3-32 VDC control 30A brick type SSR). This managed to charge the cap up to lethal voltage without us knowing it (there is a shorting relay in the permanent setup,but this was a lashup). When I poked the cap terminals with a multimeter there was a loud bang and a dead meter. I was incredibly lucky that it was the multimeter that was dead and not me!

We figured out what was happening and immediately replaced the SSR with an old style contactor. Problem solved."

Note two things, which run through pretty much every exciting moment I've had, as well.

lashup.. I'll bet more incidents in all sorts of situations have occurred during temporary tests than during regular operation (Chernobyl, TMI, etc.)

without us knowing it.. No independent check on voltage. Silent but deadly isn't good with HV gear.

There's no substitute for clearly visible air gaps or shorting hooks. That's why you leave the grounding hook on the HV, so it's connected to ground, while you fool with the circuitry. Sure, the stick will discharge the capacitor, but if you don't leave it hooked up, it might become hot again.

BTW, even mechanical contactors do stick closed. And shorting relays fail to operate.