[Home][2014 Index] [TCML] Homemade Crookes Tube? [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

[TCML] Homemade Crookes Tube?

I just recently found a local neon sign maker and asked him to make me a simple vacuum tube, which he did, gratis (!). It's 18 inches long, clear glass tubing about 3/4 inch in diameter, with electrodes at opposite ends. I don't know how hard a vacuum he pulled on this, but very quick tests show a pale blue glow from end to end. A strong magnet placed next to the tube pinches the beam, intensifying it at the spot.

I've not run this for more than a few seconds. I am concerned about x-rays. I'd like advice about operating this tube safely.

Thanks,

Paul