[Home][2015 Index] Re: [TCML] No topload output [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] No topload output

On 12/27/15 7:02 PM, Heather & Paul Novotny via Tesla wrote:
I think it was about 578kh.

I can try a lower number of windings, but I'm kind of thinking maybe I need a breakout point or a smaller topload?

Your topload is fine.. You need a temporary breakout point to get things started. Lay something like a metal ruler (with a sharp point) across the toroid. or a long piece of stiff wire, or something like that.

Thoughts?

  What are the resonant
  frequencies of the primary + tank cap and the resonant
  frequency of the secondary + top load as determined by
  JavaTC?  The secondary plus top load should be about 10-20%
  higher resonant freq then the primary tank circuit to allow
  for capacitive loading of the secondary plus top load by the
  streamers.

  Hope this
  helps

  Brian

  Sent from my iPhone

  Paul Novotny via Tesla <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
  wrote:

  > Hi
  guys,

  > I just
  tried my TC for the first time tonight after COUNTLESS hours
  of work on it.  Unfortunately, I am getting no streamers
  from the topload.

  Here are the specs of my coil:

  > Power Supply: 12,000 volts 30 mA NST
  >
  > Terry Filter
  >
  > Fan quenched static
  spark gap

  > Primary
  Circuit: Bucket capacitor measured at .0145uF, 7 turns of
  .25" copper tubing ID=6.5" OD=14" winding
  spacing = .25"  I tried tapping it at 4.4 turns, 3.4
  turns, and 6.4 turns.

  > Grounded Strike Rail
  >

  > Secondary Circuit: 3.5" pvc pipe
  coil form, ~875 windings of 24AWG enamel coated copper
  magnet wire - 18.5" of windings, topload toroid
  minDiam=4.25" majDiam=17"

  > LV end of secondary coil goes to ground,
  HV end of secondary connected to the toroid

  > Bottom edge of
  toroid is 3.25" higher than the top winding of the
  secondary coil.

  Primary windings go in the same direction as the secondary.
  Primary coil inside winding moves in a counter clockwise
  manner towards the outside end and the secondary starts at
  the lower side and winds in a counter clockwise direction as
  it goes up to the top.

  > I tried a few different coupling positions
  too, I tried an 1/8" below the start of the secondary
  windings, right at the secondary windings, and 1/8"
  above the start of the secondary windings.

  > Any help would be
  much appreciated!

  Here's one of my test runs: https://youtu.be/jQPxk-NqpT8