[Home][2015 Index] Re: [TCML] Metal Lathe [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Metal Lathe

I agree, I'm not familiar with the grizzly products but if I had the money for a new lathe I'd go that rout. I very familiar with lathes and machining. If you buy a used lathe chances are it is USED. You'll have a hard time being accurate on long cuts. If you you can find a nice old little Atlas that Craftsman used to sell they are a nice little lathe and if the ways are wore you can take them apart from the rest of the lathe and have it surface grind to true them up. If you go with a bigger lathe you'll have to find someone to scrape them. Go new for what it sounds like you'll be doing.
My 2 cents,Stan

      From: b alex pettit jr via Tesla <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
 To: "Tesla@xxxxxxxxxx" <Tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
 Sent: Monday, November 23, 2015 4:31 PM
 Subject: [TCML] Metal Lathe

Grizzly sells  high performance/price products ... you get what you pay for.
An old SouthBend 9 or 10 can Not be matched with current day machines.That being said,they also are Old and Large ..  and not 'table top' machines.And, they may also require lots of TLC to make  functional.

Trust Grizzly or Little Machine Shop   for new products.
I own 3 Grizzly machines : metal lathe, band saw, drill press = they are Excellent ..
You Get What You Pay For.
Alex

Tesla mailing list
Tesla@xxxxxxxxxx

DO NOT buy that grizzly lathe, it most assuredly will disappoint.  It is not
up to the ridgidity nor does it come with the tooling you will need to turn
all metals.  A southbend 9 or 10 heavy would be good, a piece of imported
junk will not be.  Look for a used lathe that comes with tooling.  I have a
12" Logan that I do a lot of work in steel with, even that lacks rigidity
when making certain cuts, but it is vastly better than the harbor freight or
grizzly stuff.  Use-enco.com is a good site if you insist on new imports, it
has better quality.  Littlemachineshop.com specializes in supporting home
machinsists and has a range of small imports.  I would suggest you do some
research and use craigslist and tool dealers and maybe even ebay to find
something - I got my lathe through craigslist.