[Home][2015 Index] Re: [TCML] Pulse Capacitors [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Pulse Capacitors

Hi Dave,

It's a mixed bag with the 35xxx series as well, and many caps in this series are excellent for TC use. The Maxwell spec sheets for many in this series have NO stated PPS rating. For these, the Max. Dissipation Factor (MDF) or Design Life (# of charge discharge cycles, with 90% survival) can provide some useful hints as to their suitability for TC use. Mylar caps will have a higher factor (0.5% or higher) while polypropylene typically run 0.1 - 0.3% at 120 Hz. Design life for caps rated for high PPS will also have a long Design Life (millions or even billions of shots).

For example, the popular 35174 (0.06 uF at 40 kV) is rated for 100 PPS, has a an MDF of 0.3%, and a design life of 100 million shots - very suitable. A similarly packaged 35282 (0.06 uF at 50 kV) is rated for 1 PPS, has an MDF of 0.5%, and a shot life of only 100,000. Some caps in this series have shot lifetimes of only 30,000, and you never know how many are left on YOUR surplus cap.

Over the years I've accumulated a number of spec sheets, so I may be able to provide you with more information if you can provide me with series numbers. However, in all cases, a call to the GAEP capacitor engineers is really the best bet.

Best wishes,

Bert
--
Bert Hickman
Stoneridge Engineering, LLC

David Rieben wrote:
Hi Bert, What can you tell us about the "Tesla suitability" of the
GA/Maxwell 35xxx series pulse capacitors? I have seen these come up
on eBay from time to time but don't recall anyone bringing their use
up in this forum. David

On Tuesday, October 20, 2015 7:20 PM, Bert Hickman