[Home][2015 Index] Re: [TCML] Tesla Coil Magnet Wire [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Tesla Coil Magnet Wire

Hi Matt,

The 10 VAC spec is in error.

See the data sheet for these resistors:
http://www.alliedelec.com/images/products/datasheets/bm/OHMITE/70022726.pdf

The maximum _continuous_ voltage for a resistor is a function of its power rating and resistance:

  V = Sqrt(P*R)

So, for a 100 watt 1k ohm resistor, the continuous voltage rating is about 316 volts.

For low duty cycles and short pulses, the maximum withstand voltage can be much larger. It depends on the construction of the resistor (resistance wire spacing and resistor length) and is typically up to 10X the max continuous voltage rating for a hollow-form ceramic wirewound resistor.

In a Terry filter, the maximum RMS current will be limited to the size of the NST bank - perhaps a 100-200 mA RMS, so the RMS voltage will only be 100-200 volts. They WILL get hot in use. If you have the option of ordering inductive or non-inductive style resistors, you may wish to specify inductive to help further block (and damp) VHF transients.

Bert
--
Bert Hickman
Stoneridge Engineering, LLC

Matthew Sweeney wrote:
On the Terry filter, I see these suggested:

http://www.alliedelec.com/ohmite-l100j1k0e/70022726/#tab=specs

But the specs say they are only good for 10VAC. I imagine the voltage seen
across these resistors will be much much higher than that - or am I missing
something?

I found a few 200Watt 1KOHM ohmite resistors at ax-man for a few bucks a
piece but they are shorter than the above linked model, and apparently
rated at 1800V.

I'll be working on the coil form first, and during that time also the terry
filter. I don't intend to turn anything on until the filters are in place.
I found a 20A EMI filter at ax-man for $3 I think that's a decent price.

Thanks,

Matt