From: "David Speck" <Dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [TCML] Voltage/power dissapation drop across HV DC current limiting resistors.
Date: Tue, Sep 29, 2015 6:27 PM

Paula,

MOTs are going in the wrong direction for this project.  They have
relatively low output voltages, but very high output currents.  A good
MOT can easily put out 500 mA into a short circuit, as they have only a
very small built in leakage inductance.

You don't usually begin to see corona at less than 10 KV, so even
doubling a 2200 volt MOT would only give you 4400 volts, and the amount
of stored energy plus the high current capacity of the MOT would result
in a system with a much greater lethal potential than a rectified NST.

Matt's project is looking for a moderately high voltage at a very small
current.

I'm not sure how wide his belt is, or how efficient his corona
generating electrode is, but a milliamp or less at relative low voltage
would probably be entirely sufficient for his purposes.

Dave