Sent: Wednesday, August 10, 2016 11:47 AM
Subject: Re: [TCML] DC Resonant Coil Questions

Hi David,

Your component values look to be in the right ballpark for a target break rate of 350 BPS, and you should be able to push it to over 450 BPS. However, it looks like there's a "gotcha" in your system as currently proposed.

An ideal DC resonant system will apply 2X your DC supply voltage to your tank cap. Real world resonant charging systems typically develop 1.7 - 1.95X supply voltage depending on the "stiffness" of the supply, storage cap size, whether you're using single or multi-phase power, and the DC resistance of your charging reactor. At 280 volts input, the no-load output voltage for your FWB supply will be ~23.7 kVDC, and your tank cap can be initially charged to 40-45 kVDC! This will severely stress your charging reactor, tank caps, and rotary gap. You may want to limit your HV DC supply voltage to perhaps 12 kVDC prevent potentially damaging critical system components.

Good luck and best wishes,

Bert
--
Bert Hickman