[Home][2016 Index] Re: [TCML] Marx [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Marx

Jim,

Richard Hull built a TC based on a hydrogen thyratron a number of years ago. It sorta worked, but was not spectacular.

Thyratrons are not well suited to TC use, because they do not tolerate reverse direction currents well at all, and degrade quickly. The oscillating currents in the TC tank circuit travel in both directions during the ringdown, and the reverse phase damages the tubes.

ISTR that someone tried to use two thyratrons in antiparallel, but gating them was non-trivial. Basically, a lot of work to make an inappropriate device perform poorly.

Dave