[Home][2017 Index] Re: [TCML] Jacob's Ladder [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Jacob's Ladder

Cool.  Very clever trigger arrangement.  This allows one to build a JL of any height, since the wires don't need to diverge.  (When I was in high school our gang made a JL 40 feet high.  The wires were parallel and we started it with a screwdriver.  We actually got a few sparks to the top (sound of cheers when a spark makes it to the top).  Very calm evening.  The wires were made from what we called Genuine Fomoco Parts, namely, baling wire.)  You can have a diverging section in the lower 6" or so.  The other secret of a JL is to use a  high-impedance DC supply.  It helps greatly if the current flows continually, since the arc tries to go out in the current zeros between the half-cycles.

Probably would be a good idea to tweak the position of the trigger electrode for best performance, since if it's too close it will trigger too easily and shut down a spark that's having a little trouble with air currents.

A good type of wire is TIG welding wire.  It's made of steel and copper plated.  Tighten it with springs.

What else?  There was something...  Oh, yes, of course.  Have fun!

--- Carl

On 12/25/2017 8:02 AM, Clive wrote:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Uv-6YgbDoyI  Have a look here and most of your questions will be answered

On 25 December 2017 12:56:38 GMT+00:00, YESN via Tesla <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
In some message in this email chain somebody mentioned he was going to
build a jacob's ladder.
It looks very interesting and cool to demonstrate to others.
Is there any danger involved for the transformer? (Is a 9kV 60mA even
suitable?)
Does anyone have a recommendation for the wire thickness?

My regards, and happy holidays!

Yesn