[Home][2017 Index] Re: [TCML] instrument Transformers VIL95S [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] instrument Transformers VIL95S

Hi,

Nice potential transformer. Your transformer is conservatively rated by ABB for 1000 VA at 30C for continuous 24/7 operation. For intermittent duty (i.e., Tesla Coil usage), you should be able to easily push it to 2000 VA with no problem. This translates to 2000/12000 or around 170 mA RMS. For short run times and much longer cool down times, you can push it another 50% (to 3000 VA or 250 mA RMS).

Be careful to appropriately current limit it via an external ballast. And, treat it with utmost respect, since its every bit as dangerous as a distribution transformer.

Bert
--
Bert Hickman, Owner
Stoneridge Engineering, LLC

jj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hello all,
I recently obtained a  VIL95S Instrument Transformer. It has a 100:1
ratio, 12000:120 volts. I am having a problem finding out how much
current it is rated for. Its input terminals are rated at 200 amps and
its output terminals are 12 AWG wire. Does anyone know its current
ratings or what I can expect to get from it?
Thanks to everyone.