[Home][2018 Index] [TCML] Low Pass Filter MOVs for Pole Transformer [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

[TCML] Low Pass Filter MOVs for Pole Transformer

I have been successfully operating my pole transformer powered SGTC for about 6 months. It utilizes a 3600 RPM RSG and has a protection gap. Current wall power is about 4800 watts. I want to add some additional protection by incorporating a low pass filter ("Terry" filter). I am in the process of building it now. I am using a 500 ohm wire-wound resistor and a 400 pF doorknob capacitor for each HV leg. I picked 500 ohms to minimize power dissipation. I want to eliminate the MOVs even though I have them. The reason that I want to eliminate the MOVs is because MOVs are really intended for only occasional use and have a limited life time. I think my protection gap should be adequate for protecting the pole transformer from over-voltage.

Are there any thoughts on the MOV elimination?

Steve