From: "Kurt Schraner" <k.schraner@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, December 28, 2018 9:23:54 AM
Subject: Re: [TCML] GE Pulse Cap

Hi David, Jim, ...

concur with you David, about use of Maxwell pulse caps that are only rated at 1 pps: in my "Black & White" Coil are 2 series'ed Maxwell 31235, which are doing their service, some 3+ netto-hours in coil-operating, and for which results a caplife-time guess of about 473 hours, using the Maxwell/Jim Lux method. (Data of the 31235 see: http://www.ga.com/series-s-ss-high-voltage-1-pps-capacitors . (Total C measured is 0.162 uF and Vdc is 100+100 = 200kV).

Jim Lux had made available a method for cap live
estimation before. In 2012, on this list. Please see in the archives:

http://www.pupman.com/listarchives/2012/Feb/msg00042.html
http://www.pupman.com/listarchives/2012/Feb/msg00044.html

https://www.pupman.com/listarchives/2012/May/msg00177.html

The method allows to estimate cap live, in respect of the 2 parameters
"discharge voltage" and "voltage reversal". I've made an excel out of it, in
order to evaluate my own Maxwell caps.  Jim has given me permission to give
this excel to interested coilers. So, I can send it, if someone likes to try
it. Please mail me offlist on k.schraner@xxxxxxxxxxx, if you want one. The
excel is easy for Maxwells, for which you have a datasheet with all needed
input-data.

In 2012 I purchased 6 of the 37667 on Ebay, owning 8 then. Those were combined
for a sort of "Maxwell-MMC" with i.e. 60nF/70kVDC. And I'm not so much
afraid of short live, if it's not for a bad history of those caps. Those caps are
buildt into the "Sirius" TC of Andreas Saile, working without problems.

Kurt Schraner
Basel, Switzerland