[Home][2018 Index] Re: [TCML] "Terry" filter and safety gap questions for pole transformer [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] "Terry" filter and safety gap questions for pole transformer

Hi Steve,

A three-terminal gap is only necessary if you're using a two-eared pole transformer with both HV outputs floating versus ground. This provides a safe path to ground in case of a primary strike.

Many coilers ground one end of the pole transformer's HV winding, and also connect this to the inner-most primary turn of the primary, and RF ground. In this case, a two-terminal gap is fine.

Bert
--
Bert Hickman
Stoneridge Engineering LLC

Steve White wrote:
<snip>
I also have a safety gap question. My safety gap is just a simple 2-terminal horn gap connected in parallel with my RSG. I see that the safety gaps used for NSTs consist of 3 terminals: 2 for the high voltage leads and a central ground terminal. For pole transformers, is there any advantage favoring the 3-terminal gap vs the 2-terminal gap?

Steve