[Home][2018 Index] Re: [TCML] Death Ray? [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Death Ray?

Greg,

I watched all the show segments. Unlike some of the harsher assessments, I enjoyed it as speculative entertainment. It was never intended to be a scientific documentary, but it did provide some good technical information while also maintaining viewer interest and suspense. It hopefully "sparked" some interest in Tesla and STEM for younger folks. And, new information may have been uncovered at Tesla's Colorado Springs site, Wardenclyffe, and from the Tesla Museum documents. Following is s quick overview of what I gleaned about the coil setup in the finale.

Using some of Tesla's drawings of his "death ray", Aron and his team made a scale model TC (that also happened to look similar to Electrum) - a large TC with a spherical topload. They used a large energy discharge capacitor bank to elevate the DC potential of the TC secondary. The other end of the bank was connected to the TC grounding system and a small elevated discharge target. A spiral discharge wire came off the topload to point the spark in the direction of the grounded terminal.

The capacitor bank was then charged - I think Aron mentioned 100 kJ of bank energy. A drone was then flown between the topload and the small grounded discharge terminal, The TC was then briefly fired. This initiated a long streamer which passed through the drone and connected to the small grounded terminal.

When the streamer fully connected, heavy follow-through current (from the discharging capacitor bank) flowed through the TC secondary, destroying the drone and creating a hot, fiery arc. The resulting flash and large volume of smoke (and the time delay between the streamer connecting and drone explosion) suggested that the drone may have been outfitted with pyrotechnics to add to its explosive destruction.

Except for the drone, it looked to be technically similar to one of the setups you used in a Survival Research Labs show 20 years ago:
https://www.lod.org/srl-coil.html

Aron could probably provide more technical information about the setup.

Bert

Greg Leyh wrote:
Hi All,

Recently there was some program either on the Science or History Channel where they tried to replicate Tesla's 'Death Ray.'  I don't have cable so I haven't seen it, but have seen a few still images.  It kinda looks like a mini-Electrum with a curly breakout point.

Anyone know the deal?  What did they actually build?

Cheers,
Greg