[Home][2018 Index] Re: [TCML] Re Please review my coil plan [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Re Please review my coil plan

Jan,
Without a proper solid ground connection, you have two other options
besides a counterpoise:

1) construct a half wave (or bipolar Tesla coil)
https://teslauniverse.com/build/plans/construction-and-testing-bipolar-tesla-coil

2) construct a twin coil
http://www.powerlabs.org/coil2.htm

The twin coil is pretty cool. You build two identical secondaries. One is
inductively coupled to the primary as usual, but instead of being grounded,
it electrically connects to the other free standing coil. I am not sure if
it matters if they are wound in opposite directions, but I believe they
will arc independently of each other and if you move them close together
they will make for some nice power arcs. Obviously the cost can go up fast
when try to match a set of matched toroids!

Be careful with that counteroise. It may try to find the closest path to
ground, and do it violently, and most likely not be where you expect. So
stay a safe distance.

Excellent transformer construction! You are an inspiration to me!

~Dan
Kansas City area (USA)