[Home][2018 Index] Re: [TCML] Gap Losses and spark lengths, was: Please review my coil plan [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Gap Losses and spark lengths, was: Please review my coil plan

David, all,

I agree, I've found the RQ style multiple gaps to give somewhat

poor performance compared to a Gary Lau style single
sucker or vortex or pressure gap (pressure is probably
best).  A single gap, provided it is kept cool enough
seems to be best because of reduced voltage drop
as Bert mentioned.

For rotaries I think the same thing is true, fewer gaps
are better, provided they don't power-arc or re-fire
while the electrodes are still aligned.  Increasing
the number of gaps doesn't help the quenching
very much since the quenching is mostly a result
of the energy being quickly burnt up in strong output
spark production.

For static gaps, much of what some folks refer to
as poor quenching is really due to gaps that are running
too hot and therefore fire at an abnormally low voltage.

Happy July 4th !

John