[Home][2018 Index] Re: [TCML] Fixing secondary strikes Re: Bad strike to a 12 inch traditional coil (somewhat terminal) [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Fixing secondary strikes Re: Bad strike to a 12 inch traditional coil (somewhat terminal)

Jim,

I think the other Phil (Phil S) - whose coil it is - and has to do all the physical work :-) - has commented already, but I liked your suggestion of:

//"I wonder if we could figure out a way to segment a large coil vertically, so if a segment gets damaged, you can just rewind that segment. Just off the top of my head, I'm thinking about something like segments with a hundred turns or so. Could we come up with a way of making the connections in a "good" way. I'm almost thinking about how you using field grading rings on a Van de Graaff. You don't want a complete shorted turn, but you could terminate the winding in some sort of flat terminal on the "mating face" of a segment. You'd stack the segments, and then put some compression on it (threaded fiberglass rod?)"//

This seems like quite a novel idea and a quick way of getting a damaged coil back up and running fairly quickly. I think with the coil in question due to it's size (toroid c/height is 87" / 7' 3") , and also having a large diameter toroid (with a bigger 63" one in the pipeline) you would loose the vertical rigidity that a 12" solid tube attempts to provide, but it could be viable on a medium 6" to 8" coil; one that is not too big so as to have stability issues, but is still large enough making rewinds something to avoid.

Phil T