From: "James Janota" <j.janota@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Tuesday, June 5, 2018 9:47:31 AM
Subject: [TCML] My first SGTC build.

   After watching Chris Boden with Billy and Trevor on their Geek Group Youtube channel, and the opportunity that Chris directed me to this group. As a first time builder of these types of devices, I'm hoping that I can get assistance to direct me to the supplies I need and the formulas to determine how to tune and understand the interactions better. Hopefully, I can make a wireless transmission source to experiment with. I'm not looking for a free lunch as I intend to do the work, I just need to learn how to do the work. I've got my Amateur Extra Radio Operators license, so I know antennas and a few things in regards to radio operations. What I have seen so far on other TC builds, Tesla coils are a different animal. So I'm a scoach out of my elements(pun Intended).

  Anyway, So far I have made a secondary coil with 2" pvc with 20" length of coils of 26ga magnet wire hand spun without a jig. I've counted @ 1000 turns. If this is like a 1/4 wave ground plane antenna, the resonant frequency I have on the secondary is about 144Mhz. If I take the formula of 468/frequency in mhz I should have 20" if I was to make a 1/4 wave antenna. However, I may be over simplifying this or altogether wrong. I'm thinking the primary coil and the secondary have to be on the same resonance to be able to be dance partners. Hopefully, I can make the primary out of 10 AWG solid wire, as I have an abundance at my house.

  Other than that I was thinking of a NST output of 15kv may be overkill for the secondary or does it matter? I did want to start off small at first to get the basics down, then go bigger as my confidence builds. I know I have a lot of homework on my hands and I hope y'all can guide me through the process.

Thanks for having this knowledge base resource available, and thanks for you time and assistance.

James Janota