From: "David Speck" <Dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, June 5, 2018 9:21:52 PM
Subject: Re: [TCML] Welding Transformer As Ballast or Choke

Dan,

A shorted welding transformer stores energy in an expanding magnetic
field which is then returned to the power circuit as the sine wave of
the input power waveform decays, kinda like compressing a spring.  When
you relieve the pressure on the spring, the spring pushes the energy
back into your system.

If you use a resistor, the resistor converts the energy to heat, which
is lost, and not returned to the system.  This is much less efficient.
It would provide ballasting, at the expense of a lot of waste heat.  Any
resistance in the ballast components will generate waste heat, so you
want to minimize that as much as possible.

If you want an easily and infinitely adjustable ballast, you would use a
saturable reactor.  This is a special transformer which would perform
the same function as a shorted welder, but in which the permitted
current is controllable by a small low voltage DC current applied to a
special set of control windings.

Saturable reactors provide nice control for TC systems, but ones big
enough to effectively control a pole pig can easily weigh half a ton,
and are usually very expensive, unless you can find a surplus unit for
cheap.

Last spring, I bought an assembly nearly identical to the following one
for $130 for the copper scrap value, but it cost me $580 in shipping
fees to get it to my friend's factory shipping dock. "Some day" I hope
to build a coil big enough to put it to effective use.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/40-KVA-20-AMP-460-VOLT-HUNTERDON-SATURABLE-CORE-REACTOR-TRANSFORMER-S-1207-1/292572873068

The reactor that was in it looks just like the following one, but is
mine "only" 52 KVA rated.  I think there is a typo in the listing.  The
rating should be more like 60 KVA, not 600.  I would speculate that a
600 KVA core would likely weigh several tons.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Hunterdon-Saturable-Core-Reactor-Transformer-600KVA-60Hz-WE-1097-R-C98R2/282780054079

(I have no connection to either seller.)

You can buy a lot of welders to short out for $4,800 plus shipping.

To understand saturable reactors, look up "magnetic amplifiers" in
Wikipedia.

Dave