From: Tesla [mailto:tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of jimlux
Sent: Monday, June 11, 2018 4:39 PM
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: **External Email** Re: [TCML] SGTC conversion question.

On 6/11/18 2:09 PM, David Speck wrote:
> James,
>
> A coil that is suitable for single ended drive "could" be used in a
> bipolar arrangement.  The old Cenco bipolar coils were built this way.
>
> However, I think that you would be better off with a secondary with a
> gap in the center where the windings are in the "shadow" of the primary.
>
> Secondary windings that fall within the windings of a typical
> cylindrical primary would not add any useful voltage to the output of
> the coil.
>
> If you used a flat pancake primary, this effect would be minimized,
> but I can't ever recall seeing a bipolar coil with this sort of
> primary arrangement.
>
> Dave
>

> On 6/11/2018 1:50 PM, James Janota wrote:
>> I had an idea. After I get successful at my coil building, how hard
>> would it be to change it to a bipolar TC?

Or, if this one works, wind a second secondary of the same size.  Either way, you'll have plenty of work to figure out to support the
secondary(ies) and primaries, etc.

I can see taking the existing secondary, putting a second topload on it on the other end, then mounting it horizontally.

A pancake primary in the middle - if you have enough clearance.

Tuning and mechanical support will be "interesting" - one thing is that it's harder to control the coupling - with a conventional flat primary and secondary above it, you can raise and lower the secondary to decrease/increase the coupling.

This email and any attachments are for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential information. If you receive this email in error, please notify the sender, delete the original and all copies of the email and destroy any other hard copies of it.