[Home][2018 Index] Re: [TCML] Testing NST safely. [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Testing NST safely.

 Yes.  Make sure the NST is wired with a 3-prong cord.  Set up a simple spark gap.  Make sure a spark will jump from first one HV terminal, then the other, to the case of the NST.  Set up a simple climbing arc generator.  This is not only a test, it's also very entertaining.
UNPLUG the NST.  Short across the HV terminals with a cheap digital multi-meter set for AC Amps.  Double check that the meter is set to AC Amps.  Plug in the NST.  Read the ammeter (without touching it).  Should read 30ma or 60ma (or whatever is on the NST data plate).  UNPLUG the NST.  Disconnect the ammeter.  Tests over.

Cheers,
Greg
    On Thursday, June 14, 2018, 6:25:00 PM CDT, James Janota <j.janota@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

 Is there a way to test an NST safely? I don’t want to fry me, the NST, or the house.

Regards

James Janota
(727)512-7112 Phone
(727)595-6625 Fax