From: "Bert Hickman" <bert-hickman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Tesla list" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, June 16, 2018 3:17:41 PM
Subject: Re: [TCML] Need Energy Discharge Capacitor Information

Hi Steve,

Steve White wrote:
> I have two energy discharge capacitors for which I am seeking additional information. I have searched the internet and sent questions to the manufacturers to no avail. This is what I know about the two capacitors from the nameplates.
>
> Capacitor #1:
>
> * Manufacturer: Maxwell
> * Catalog Number: 33504
> * Capacitance: 106 uF
> * Maximum Voltage: 10 KV
This is a kraft paper-foil energy discharge capacitor with castor oil
dielectric as the fluid. The other specs for this cap follow:

Rated %VR:  80%  (Most energy discharge caps are only 20% VR)
Max %VR:   100%
Rated Id:  150 kA
Max Id:    300 kA
Irms:       75 A
Inductance: 40 nH
Design Life at rated V and I: 10,000 shots  (90% survival)
DC Life:     75 hours
Max/Min T:  40/-10 Degrees C

> This is one of the big orange units that I have seen others use in various HV pulse discharge projects. I have a section of an old Maxwell catalog but this particular model is not listed.
>
> Capacitor #2:
>
> * Manufacturer: Aerovox
> * Catalog Number: PM223YW099D01
> * Capacitance: 102 uF
> * Maximum Voltage: 22 KV

This cap also uses a kraft paper-foil dielectric system with castor oil
dielectric fluid. This cap (as are all Aerovox in the PM series) is
rated for 20% VR. I don't have any other specs, but looking at the cap
and its massive terminals, it's good for at least 100 kA. Keep voltage
reversal below 20% and either cap should outlive you.

Neither cap is self-healing, but they're both excellent caps for quarter
shrinking or can crushing. Don't let either stay below 14 F for any
extended time though. The castor oil starts clouding (solidifying) and
the cap will fail when being charged. Ask me how I know... :)

Good luck and play safely!

Bert

> This is one of the big gray blocks that I have also seen. I have also seen similar Aerovox units used in HV pulse discharge projects.
>
> Primarily what I am seeking is maximum number of shots and maximum allowable voltage reversal. I know that these capacitors are not suited for tesla coil use. I am going to use them to build a quarter shrinker and a ring launcher. Please, I don't need any safety warnings or such. I have been building tesla coils for many years. Any additional information about these capacitors would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Steve

-
Bert Hickman
Stoneridge Engineering LLC