[Home][2018 Index] Re: [TCML] Need Energy Discharge Capacitor Information [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Need Energy Discharge Capacitor Information

Hi Steve,

Sounds like good plan.

Consider building a relatively large volume blast shield around the region of activity if you plan to run at higher energy levels. The internal volume of mine is about 0.4 cubic feet, but I never run it above 8 kJ. I initially used 1/2" Lexan sheet on my blast shield, but I quickly discovered that I needed to reinforce it with steel in the regions directly impacted by coil fragments. Prior to this, I began fracturing the Lexan at 8500 joules from wire fragments and the shock wave when the work coil exploded.

I've been using abrasion-resistant (AR400) steel on the inside surfaces of the blast shield. No problems after over 7,000 shots. Another coin shrinking experimenter uses an old safe for his blast shield. And, many years ago, some Texas coin shrinkers used a large diameter 1/2 thick steel tube (the base of a large outdoor sign), topped by a comparably thick steel plate that was then weighed down with several hundred pounds of sandbags. However, higher-energy shots (over 20 kJ) still lifted the top plate sufficiently to allow fragments to escape into the lab. 48 kJ packs the energy equivalent of ~35,400 foot-pounds or energy, and exploding coil fragments have been measured at over Mach 4.4.

Plan accordingly.

Bert

Steve White wrote:
I originally tried to get information from Aerovox about my unit. They said that they had no record of it because it was made in 1992 (I presume from the serial number). I assumed that they would have records of all such huge capacitors but I guess not.

I am think of buying another one of the Aerovox capacitors (PM-series, 102 uF, 22 KV) and connecting it in parallel with the one that I already have. This would give me a combined maximum energy of 48 KJ for mayhem. My primary reason for doing this though is to get the same energy by charging to a lower voltage to minimize VR and thus extend capacitor life. The same E-Bay seller that I bought my current unit from is offering another one. Any thoughts?

Steve