Sent: Saturday, June 23, 2018 2:39 PM
Subject: Re: [TCML] rectifying my NST

I used these on my 15 kV 120 ma NST. I think they are rated 150 kV 1 amp.
Imgur

|  |  |

|  |
Imgur

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

On Saturday, June 23, 2018, 8:50:18 AM EDT, David Rieben <drieben@xxxxxxx> wrote:

 Charles,

Wow! 36” spark! That’s impressive. I happen to have a surplus x-ray transformer (with its internal diodes still intact) that I currently already have set up to be fed with the current ballasted 0 - 280 VAC output from my large Tesla coil control panel that would serve admirably for feeding a ‘man-sized’ Marx generator. I have toyed with the idea of building a big Marx bank before, but the challenge of its sound construction, both from an electrical as well as a mechanical standpoint, the unlikely prospect of procuring all of the required matching HV Caps and resistors on the surplus market and the consequential cost associated with obtaining the same on a retail market, and the total lack of space to safely operate such a beast have pretty well placed that project on the back burner for now. :-/

David

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 22, 2018, at 8:26 PM, charles rakes <crakes29@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I use a 15Kv 60ma NST with 30 diodes in series on each output hot
terminal. One string with a negative output and the other with a
positive. I get over 22KV DC output that I use to drive my dual 15 stage
Marx generator and get about 36-inches spark between the two towers. The
NST's primary is controlled by a variac.

On Fri, Jun 22, 2018 at 2:14 PM, Matthew Sweeney <msweeney23@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Hi Raymond, I did this using strings of cheap Microwave oven diodes potted
in short PVC tubs with paraffin wax. I also added some high wattage 1M
resistors for my own safety.

Basically I created large, clunky, cheap 30KV-50KV diodes :)

It worked well, but I think the diodes would be better off in epoxy
specific for the context. Rectified DC off an NST is a different beast and
kinda scary for me :)

I was using this to drive a VDG, but the voltage was too high and it's very
much overkill!

Good luck!

On Fri, Jun 22, 2018, 5:35 AM Raymond Spigot <raymond.j.spigot@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Hi, thanks for all the interesting discussion about NST testing and safe
grounding, it's all been instructive for a noob

I have this grey resin block neon transformer in the shed I was thinking
of
experimenting with. It's a 15kv/30mA one with a midpoint ground
connection. Is there a way to rectify the output so I can use it for
trying out powering a dc tesla?

I have a big bag of diodes (1N5408 I think) that were pretty cheap. If
they'll handle 1000v each I could solder them up into long strings and
use
4 strings of diodes to make a bridge rectifier? I guess I'd need a
capacitor on the other side of the bridge as well though to smooth it
out a
bit.

Then I was wondering if there was another way to do it with a midpoint
grounded transformer like mine. I'm thinking the 2 secondary windings on
the transformer must be out-of-phase, but could I rectify them
individually? Between each HV output and the midpoint ground I mean.
Then
I'm thinking I'd need 2 bridges but they're only trying to rectify half
the
voltage each and it would be easier to cope with.

Basically I'm hoping there's a way to get like 10kv dc out instead of
closer to (I think) 20kv Because then I can buy a main MMC capacitor
that
doesn't have to be rated for the highest voltage (so I can put less caps
in
series)

hope this makes some sense to someone! thanx for advice anyway

Ray