[Home][2018 Index] Re: [TCML] Please review my coil plans [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Please review my coil plans

Jan,

I wouldn't bother with using a synchronous motor for high break rate.  By using
a universal type motor, you can vary the break rate with a simple variac.
Alternatively, you can use an induction motor.  In some cases the coil
can produce a cyclic beating effect when using an induction motor.  You
don't want that to happen.  You can vary the RPM of an induction motor
to some degree by varying the input voltage with a variac, although induction
motors are not meant to be used that way.

Dielectric losses in the coil form are not an issue.  It simply doesn't make
any difference.  A possible reason to avoid paper or PVC forms is due
to possible carbon tracking which can occur due to racing sparks or
secondary strikes.  Racing sparks can occur if the coil is mis-tuned or
electrically coupled too tightly to the primary.

Those sewer pipes should be excellent.  It's important to apply a varnish
or polyurethane or other coating over the wire on the secondary to
prevent the wire from slipping down on the secondary form, and also
to protect the wire.  This is especially important if magnet wire is used.
I'm seen many cases where the wire slipped down on the form and
the wires over-lapped due to temperature changes and it made a real
mess if the wire was not coated to hold it in place.

John