[Home][2018 Index] Re: [TCML] First MMC Design questions [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] First MMC Design questions

Hi Yesn,

The data sheet for the proposed PHE450 series states:  The PHE450 Series is
a polypropylene dielectric with double metallized polyester film as
electrodes.
The preferred CD942C data sheet states:  Type 942 round, axial film
capacitors utilize a hybrid section design of polypropylene film, metal
foils and metallized polypropylene dielectric to achieve both high peak
current as well as superior rms current ratings.
The critical difference is the electrode plate construction.  A solid foil
electrode (942C) can handle much more current that a metalized film
deposited on the dielectric (PHE450).  While the 942C description also
mentions metalized film electrodes, this is just a "floating electrode"
that is situated midway between the two solid foil electrodes that connect
to the two terminals.  I think the floating electrode is a means to achieve
a higher AC voltage rating.  Bottom line, the 942C is more expensive but is
much better suited to handle the high currents of TC operation.  If the
942C is unavailable, the PHE450 could probably be used, but I would suggest
using more parallel strings to reduce the current per string.  But I can't
offer any more specific guidance for how many more strings.

The three LTR cap values that you cited were all fairly close, I don't
think the cap value would impact safety or performance significantly, but
choosing a configuration with more strings is probably very important if
using a cap with metalized film electrodes.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA

Virus-free.
www.avg.com