[Home][2018 Index] Re: [TCML] Unexpected RSG phase shifter behavior [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Unexpected RSG phase shifter behavior

Live and learn! Wondering if it has any effect when using a phase controller - I'm wondering if it's still possible to get up to 90 degrees of shift still, if not that could have been the OP's original problem of not noticing a difference?

Phil Tuck

On 30/03/18 14:31, Futuret via Tesla wrote:
Yes, a 3600 rpm motor can definitely work with 4 flats.  It might produce
less power and run hotter through.  Of course 2 flats is correct
as you said.

John

-----Original Message-----
From: pip <pip@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Fri, Mar 30, 2018 8:57 am
Subject: Re: [TCML] Unexpected RSG phase shifter behavior

Steve, you are missing nothing, 3000rpm (3600 on 60Hz) only needs 2
flats. It may well work with 4 flats but unsure what you would end up
with when twiddling the phase control.

Someone mentioned unbalance: Machining 4 flats is much more likely to
result in unbalance, not so much because there's more 'flats' to
machine, but getting the flats at exactly at 90 degrees to one another.
Really needs a mill for 4 - and obviously preferable for 2.

Phil Tuck

Steve wrote:

Steve you said in your initial post that your SRSG motor was 3600 rpm.
In
your last post you said the motor armature had four flats machined into
it.
I understand that a 3600 rpm motor has only two poles so I would expect
the
rotor to have only two flats.
What am I missing.
Teddy