[Home][2018 Index] Re: [TCML] Safety Gap: 2-pole or 3-pole? [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Safety Gap: 2-pole or 3-pole?

Steve,

Since a pole transformer essentially has only two HV outputs (without the third center tapped ground, as with most NSTs), I would figure that a two-pole gap should suffice.

Out of curiosity, is your safety gap set so that it occasionally fires during coil operation and assuming that it does occasionally fire, do you have issues with the gap quenching once it does fire? I have personally always had trouble with the formed power arc quenching once the safety gap fires, due to the level of power being processed by a pole pig. That is why I opt for a properly rated MOV distribution arrester to act as my ‘safety gap’. I use a 27 kV rated arrester directly across my RSG and a 21 kV rated one across the HV output bushings of my 14.4 kV pole pig.

David

Sent from my iPhone