[Home][2018 Index] Re: [TCML] GE Protective Capacitors - Part # 9L18DCL101 or 18L0009WH [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] GE Protective Capacitors - Part # 9L18DCL101 or 18L0009WH

Gentlemen,
I am working on a coil that seems to be very close to what David has. It is
based on a 10 kva pole transformer. I have built a current limiting ballast
and have ganged varics so I can control current to around 40 amps an
voltage up to 280.
I am in the thinking phase for a SRSG and the tank capacitor. I have 3
capacitors like the ones in this discussion. They are way too high
capacitance at 14 microfa. But I  have questions about them for education
on my part. They are rated at 7.2 kv but there is also a rating of 95 kv
"bil".
Can anyone tell me what the "bil" means?
Also if I  understand the post recently the two capacitors that David has
in series is, .25 microfa. each for a total of .125 microf. That would be
125 nanof.
Teddy

On May 14, 2018 8:53 AM, "David Rieben" <drieben@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Oops, I fogot. the porimary voltage is from a 14.4 kV pig.
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Andrew Cobaugh" <
> andrew.cobaugh@xxxxxxxxx>
> Sent: Sunday, May 13, 2018 8:50 PM
> Subject: Re: [TCML] GE Protective Capacitors - Part # 9L18DCL101 or
> 18L0009WH
>

> David,
>>
>> How were you series'ing these for use in your system? Floating the case of
>> one of them, or did you happen upon the dual bushing version?
>>
>> Also, what is the primary voltage on your system?
>>

>> On Sun, May 13, 2018 at 5:33 PM, David Rieben <drieben@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I was just wanting to pass on to the rest of the TCML big SG coilers the
>>> amazing suitability that I have found of some certain GE Dielektrol
>>> protective capacitors to be for coiling. These have been showing up on
>>> eBay
>>> fairly frequently as of late and are rated at 0.25 uFd @ 13,800 V(AC).
>>>
>>> https://www.ebay.com/itm/GE-Capacitor-with-Dielektrol-9L18DCL101-13-8KV/
>>> 171955634804?_trkparms=aid%3D777001%26algo%3DDISCO.FEED%
>>> 26ao%3D1%26asc%3D50963%26meid%3Dfcbee251c09a4671967201c022e0
>>> 0f6c%26pid%3D100651%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26%26itm%3D171955634804&_trksid=
>>> p2481888.c100651.m4497&_trkparms=pageci%3A4e91f1f4-
>>> 56ef-11e8-bfd1-74dbd1800d55%7Cparentrq%3A5b4518781630a9c10cbe75cafff4
>>> bdba%7Ciid%3A1
>>>
>>> https://www.ebay.com/itm/GE-General-Electric-Capacitor-
>>> with-Dielektrol-Fluid-18L0009WH-13-800V/273049284524?_trkparms=aid%
>>> 3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D50963%26meid%
>>> 3D90ee9bc9263f44fe9a830e47dd8b0680%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D1%
>>> 26rkt%3D15%26sd%3D382430499481%26itm%3D273049284524&_trksid=
>>> p2481888.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci%3A4e91f1f4-
> [...]
>>> three of these last year, I decided to try a pair of these (the original
>>> 9L18DCL101 units) in series (for 0.125 uFd @ 27,600 VAC - but measured C
>>> is
>>> just over 0.13 uFd) as the main primary circuit capacitor for my ARSG
>>> driven, big pole pig coil. Once the primary coil was properly retuned for
>>> the larger C than my original measured 0.113 uFd Maxwell pulse cap unit,
>>> these worked quite beautifully in my coil! There appears to be no
>>> discernable heating above ambient temperature of thier guts, although the
>>> outer casing that is in closest proximity to the primary coil will get a
>>> bit warm after an extended run, obviously due to magnetic heating of the
>>> ferromagnetic outer casing, not losses of the internal dielectric
>>> system. I
>>> say this due to the fact that the discernab
>>>  le warmth of the outer casing completely disappears within a couple of
>>> minutes following shutdown. From previous experience, I have found that
>>> internal dielectric heating due to excessive dissipational losses that is
>>> felt on the outer casing of the capacitor unit takes a considerable
>>> amount
>>> of time to fade after shutdown. Depending upon the internal thermal mass
>>> of
>>> the capcitor, this cool down can literally take hours! Even though they
>>> are
>>> 'used', I figure that I am actually running them at a pretty 'low stress'
>>> level, pushing only an absolute maximum of 16.8 kVAC RMS (about 60% of
>>> their combined 100% duty cycle nameplate rating and usually notably less
>>> than this).
>>>
>>> It appears that these caps were designed to be used in combination with a
>>> distribution surge arrestor to protect the windings of LARGE motors (that
>>> run on a nominal input line voltage up to 13,800 volts!) from sharp line
>>> voltage peaks. From what I have been able to determine online, they are
>>> constructed with a PP based "Hazy Film" dielectric system and extended
>>> end
>>> foil connections and like most of their medium voltage PFC cousins, they
>>> have internal discharge resistors to safely bleed off any residual HV
>>> charge from the capacitor to the 'safe to handle' range within <10
>>> minutes
>>> after the circuit is de-energized. This is a nice feauture in my opinion,
>>> as it 'defangs the snake' of hidden residual charge that can creep back
>>> up
>>> to 'bite you' even after the terminals are shorted out with a hot-stick,
>>> due to dielectric memory, yet their resistance level is still high enough
>>> that their extra load across the cap's terminal is totally
>>> inconsequential
>>> to the coil's performance within
>>>  the milliseconds time frame of the charge/discharge cycling in a Tesla
>>> coil primary circuit.
>>>
>>> All in all, these units appear to be constructed quite robustly, too,
>>> from a mechanical as well as an electrical standpoint. So, if you happen