From: "Steve White" <steve.white1@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "Tesla Coil List" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, November 4, 2018 10:28:53 PM
Subject: [TCML] Mystery HV capacitors

Does anyone know anything about these capacitors? They are unbranded shipped from China. The only markings are:

CB80
2000 pF
30 KV

I have searched all over the internet and I can't find out anything else. I know they are plastic film capacitors. I have a Marx generator made from these capacitors and they seem to work well for that purpose. They have an odd construction feature. They have nice solid axial leads and the leads seem to go all the way into the foil. But if you look closely, each lead has a tiny wire, much smaller than the axial lead, connected to it leading back into the capacitor. You can't really see it on the picture. I am wondering if the large leads are just for good mechanical support and the tiny leads are what is actually carrying the current into the foil. If so, I can't imagine these tiny leads are going to carry much current. I am wondering how well these might work in a small tesla coil. My hunch is not very well. My interest in them is because the price is inexpensive.

Here is a link to some for sale on E-Bay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2000pF-30KV-DC-High-Voltage-Condenser-Capacitor-for-Marx-generator-HV-Ham-Radio/173570926164?epid=9020951115&hash=item2869a22654:g:4goAAOSw1Sdbtexc:rk:46:pf:0

Steve White
Cedar Rapids, Iowa