[Home][2018 Index] Re: [TCML] Where is everyone? [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Where is everyone?

Hi Steve and all,

I have only been subcribed to the list since sometime 2017. But I have been
a lurker for many years reading the list through the site very often. The
site also was always coming up on certain Google searches also when I was
looking for information. Would always go to these first. Not really sure
why it took me so long to subscribe to the list, but I finally did last
year. Me, I am currently in lurker mode, not completely by choice, so not
many posts recently by me and most current posts are out of my "realm", but
I read them all with interest. Me, I am mostly a tube man. I love the glow
of a vacuum tube :-) And with a career change, I have been busy working 6
days a week with quite a bit of OT with a bit commuting time also. So not
much time. So only one real day to do coiling for me. All is good though,
decent pay and I like what I am doing. Have some extra coin within reason
for some components that I could not justify before for current coils and a
two project coils currently going.
Still also experimenting with my one now 304 VTTC, still testing more tubes
that I have gotten recently. No real new developments lately testing and
still a bit puzzled on some things. Still need to do some measurements of
values of several things. Depending on some measurements I may rewind my
secondary again. Even though it is performing very well, I just can't stop
messing with this little coil originally built in sometime in the mid
1980's, even though I am pulling myself away from current coil projects.
So, I guess I just broke out of lurker mode somewhat, just as some others
here. Got the whole Thanksgiving weekend off and just got done testing
another tube. Planning to finally make some measurements and do more
thorough experimenting this weekend, since I finally have some more time.
If I have some interesting results, I will post. Me, I feel like, but I
could be wrong, that there is not really too many active people using tubes
in coils currently. And locally when I tell people to try to get them
interested, I get some puzzled looks from people no matter the age range
when I tell them about using vacuum tubes and coiling. The only people that
seem to understand are at the Hamfests that me and my father go to. They
are also dwindling in size over the years. Changing technology and lack of
interest in younger people.
I used to be newspaper printer for quite a long time. Complete changing
world there also. Not many young people interested in reading newspapers
these days. Okay, enough rambling here...I probably can keep on going
here...

Chris Reeland
Ladd Illinois USA

Sent from my LG V20