[Home][2018 Index] Re: [TCML] Streamer hits to power cabling [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Streamer hits to power cabling

Jan,

315mm is 12 inches+, so a fairly substantial output may be involved,
meaning a large space free from strike hazards is the only way.

Fluorescent tubes can and do explode, with an odd tendency to shatter
several minutes after being hit. Another list member (DW) can testify to
that after being under one of my 'hits' at the time of exploding,
subsequently I then removed tubes prior to running (strike distance to
the lamp of that particular incidence would only have been 6 to 7 foot
from memory @ around 7kw+)

Wiring in conduit can also get damaged, presumably as the voltage jumps
from the cable core to the conduit. Fire alarms can also be set off. In
fact anything left plugged in is 'game', even when switched off. I've
managed a modem, a washing machine and a VFD drive for a lathe, those
last three were with just a 4 inch coil on three NSTs.

So I would say prospect for damage is high with a big coil. A good
independent RF earth is a must, and a breakout point to a suitably
placed RF earthed target may help steer the streamer in a safe
direction.

Phil