[Home][2018 Index] Re: [TCML] Primary voltage considerations [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Primary voltage considerations

I have found that although X-ray transformers are neat and fun for the typical high voltage experimenter, they are NOT really suitable as a SG Tesla coil power supply transformer. As Jim says, corona starts becoming a real issue once you surpass the 30 kV threshold. If one were to try to throttle down the input to a >100 kV rated X-ray transformer to reduce the output voltage to a more ‘Tesla coil friendly’ 25 kV or less, via a variac, then the output current will likely not be sufficient to fully charge the primary capacitor within a reasonable BPS time frame or even at the mains frequency.  Plus it would take a hella voltage rating of the primary capacitor to take advantage of the full rated voltage output of an X-ray transformer. Also, X-ray transformers are rated at their nameplate outputs with a limited duty cycle, too, since most X-ray exposures require only a small fraction of a second of energizing of the X-ray tube head. Most utility power transformers are rated at a full 100% duty cycle. Assuming adequate input ballasting, backwards wired, single phase, 120/240 secondary volt pole transformers, with primary voltages in the 10 kV to 20 kV range (14.4 kV probably the most popular voltage choice amongst coilers) are the tried and true workhorse for power supplies for large SG driven coil systems.

David

Sent from my iPhone