[Home][2018 Index] Re: [TCML] SRSG strobe [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] SRSG strobe

Thanks for the feedback, Steve. I'm not sure that my electrodes are eroding
as much as they are simply discoloring. The stationary electrodes are
definitely eroding, but I have a stash of 3/8" tungsten rod to replace
those some day.

I do have a lathe and mill (which I didn't when I built this gap!), so
swapping to the bolt/nut combo for the electrode holders is doable. The
flying electrodes don't really get hot (or at least they're room
temperature after shutdown).

I have a 15kva pole transformer waiting in the wings unless I get my first
CM300 bridge going before I acquire the last big GE cap I need for the pole
transformer setup... For that I would likely add another electrode pair to
the other side of the gap and run the two in series to increase the
breaking velocity. I'd probably do that before switching to full electrode
holders.

And for anyone else following along, if you need to precision drill a round
part and you only have a drill press, the trick is to spin the part itself
and put the drill in the vise. The drill will tend to be self-centering if
you leave the vise floating on the table, and it won't break down to a
certain size.

--
andy