From: Tesla [mailto:tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Steve White
Sent: Sunday, September 2, 2018 10:01 PM
To: Tesla Coil Mailing List <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [TCML] Acrylic sheet for primary coil insulator

My coil is probably considered to be on the larger side. It is 8.6" in diameter and uses a 3600 RPM RSG with protection gap. It is powered by a pole transformer and at 4.8 KVA it produces 8 foot streamers. I do have a strike rail. The vast majority of the time, the strike rail absorbs the errant streamers. On occasion, however, a streamer will strike the primary coil. In one instance, after striking the primary, the streamer then jumped over to the secondary coil. Although no damage was observed, I certainly don't like the idea of streamers striking the delicate secondary coil. So this is my motivation for considering the acrylic sheet. I wouldn't even consider this if I had to buy the acrylic. I got it for nothing.

Is there anyone that has tried covering the primary coil with an insulating sheet such as acrylic or something else? If so, did it help?

Steve White
Cedar Rapids, Iowa