[Home][2018 Index] Re: [TCML] Shared RF ground [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Shared RF ground

On 9/5/18 9:05 AM, Albert via Tesla wrote:
Hi,
When running two SSTC's side by side can they share the same RF ground wire to earth rods,
or share same earth rods with seperate wires to the rods?

Sure, I don't see why not. remember that the "other plate" for the top load is basically what's under the coil - typically your primary.

"earth" is a long distance away, and a wire has a lot of series L and even more series AC resistance (skin effect - at 100 kHz, skin depth in copper is about 0.008", so if you've got an AWG 10 wire (0.1" diameter), you're really only using the outer 10% of it.

A 10 foot wire of AWG 10 is about 10 milliohms at DC, but more than 10 times that at 100kHz.

I am concerned of possible RF feedback from one SSTC into the other.

You bet.. if your SSTC design is one that has feedback from the primary to set the switching at Zero Voltage/Zero Current, then strong RF interference might foul that up.

Of even more interest, if you have them running at similar frequencies fairly close together, you might see some interesting "beat note" phenomena, as the top load voltages are in and out of phase with each other.

Thanks.
  Albert.