[Home][2018 Index] [TCML] triggered spark gaps [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

[TCML] triggered spark gaps

I'm getting ready to start experimenting with triggered spark gaps for a TC - all the timing benefits of a rotary gap, but without spinning blades of death.

What I'd love to find, and I'm hoping the TCML hive-mind can help, is an off the shelf "electronic ignition" module - not capacitive discharge, but something that basically is the "points replacement" that I can drive with an optical link (for HV isolation).

The idea is to use a 12V battery, an electronic ignition, and a conventional ignition coil as a robust trigger pulse generator for the spark gap.

Something fancy like the MSD, which generates multiple sparks, isn't what I want.. I want just the one pulse into the coil.

Back in the day, there were "points replacement" modules - maybe something I can order as part of a HEI? (after all there's the famous GMHEICSLR contest, which used the *coil* of a HEI as the basis for a tesla coil of sorts)

Cheap is good. The ignition coils are $12 - I'm not wild about spending $100 on what is basically a HV transistor and some biasing resistors and capacitors.

(No, I don't want to build one from scratch.. been there, done that)