[Home][2019 Index] [TCML] Pole transformer repair [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

[TCML] Pole transformer repair

Hello all! I wrote before talking about repairing my 25kva 14400/7620V. Quick rundown Incase you missed last email chain... it’s a new transformer had an issue at shipping which is how I ended up with it... it was running fine till I ran a .125mF 100kv pulse cap in series with a Jacobs ladder... it just stopped and kept drawing 50 amps. At full arc it was ballasted to about 80-90 amps. With no arc it pulled nothing until the damage now it sits there at 50 amps with no arc output. So I pulled the core and found a small burn spot on the outside HV winding I pulled the paper and found it was just a dot the size of a ball point pen. I fixed that easily... tested and still pulling 50 amps... I don’t know if this is the proper way but obviously there is two HV windings I checked resistance on both windings separately and they are the same I would figure if one was shorted somewhere I would get a different reading then the other winding but all reading match each winding perfectly... so I moved onto the low voltage side... it’s two windings also a hot and the neutral from one hot to one neutral I get nothing I get OL for overload on my fluke... same goes for the other LV winding but then I clip the two neutrals together like they would be when installed and test the resistance across both hots I get 138 ohms... is there any foot tests I can do with my oscope and a signal generator? Or any other voltmeter tests I can do to try and narrow down what the issue could be... if it’s the LV side I’m screwed I can’t get inside there to repair it.

Sent from my iPhone