From: "Gary Gaspar" <majrombus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, January 17, 2019 4:26 AM
To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>; <derstrom8@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [TCML] Let's Get Small

Gary Lau
An inspiration for me to try the same my neighbor threw out his very old bug zapper a while back & now I can do something with it. Cool On Tuesday, January 15, 2019, 06:10:38 PM PST, derstrom8--- via Tesla <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Speaking of small Tesla coils -
One of my very first was made out of junk (I didn't spend a penny on it) and it stood only about four inches high. It used wire from an old microwave oven fan motor wound around a toilet paper tube for the secondary, and there was no topload. The primary consisted of just a few turns (4-6?) of bare copper ground wire removed from a section of 12-2 Romex residential cable, and it was set up on bottle caps at the base of the secondary. The capacitor was a single beer bottle wrapped in aluminum foil and filled with salt water. The capacitance measured about 0.5nF, if I remember correctly. I used a static spark gap (I believe it was 6 or 7 sections of copper tube mounted next to each other on a hard plastic VHS case) and the whole thing was connected to a 9kV 60mA NST.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvIowPqcWek
Looking back, I realize that the fact that it worked at all was sheer luck - I did not do any math whatsoever when I built this coil and I had absolutely no idea what I was doing. Nonetheless this build really sparked my interest (no pun intended) in Tesla coil building and brought me to where I am today. Despite its horrible design and assembly, I'm still fairly proud of this little coil, though if I ever tried to replicate it I can guarantee it would never work the same.
Regards,
Matt Lewis, Fairlee VT